On Tuesday evening (Feb. 22, 2013) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White joined UFC color-commentator Joe Rogan on "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast to discuss all things mixed martial arts (MMA).
Combat sports figures including current and ex-fighters such as Josh Barnett, Tito Ortiz, Urijah Faber, UFC women's Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, former UFC Heavyweight champion Bas Rutten and UFC Light Heavyweight contender Chael Sonnen have appeared on Rogan's podcast; however, White's two-plus hour conversation with Rogan may have topped them all.
White and Rogan, also joined by Rogan's good friend "Redban," explored numerous topics including, but not limited to, Anderson Silva, Chuck Liddell, Mike Tyson, Nick Diaz, boxing, MMA in New York, Bellator, Viacom, performance enhancing drugs, the Culinary Union and much, much more.
Here are the cliff notes:
- White talked about using the ramp at early UFC events, said it was done to take up part of the arena and cover up the fact not many tickets were sold.
- White provided an update on his Meniere's disease, said he recently visited a doctor and the surgery was defined as a "complete disaster."
- White said partying kills fighters, saw it happen to Chuck Liddell.
- White said he HAS to make Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones happen.
- White said the Klitschko brothers are the most boring fighters in the history of boxing.
- White talked about the status of MMA in New York, called the latest decision "a big win."
- White said he has damage spots on his brain from getting punched in the head during boxing.
- White said he would rather have his kids fight than play football.
- White said he once won $6 million gambling in one night. Has also lost $1 million in a night.
- White talked about the purchase of PRIDE.
- White said he doesn't want to see B.J. Penn fight anymore.
- White said he doesn't give a f*ck about money and he was just as happy when he was broke.
- White talked about testosterone-replacement-therapy (TRT) and marijuana.
- White ranted about Bellator MMA and Viacom, said Philippe Dumont, owner of Viacom, disrespected him by claiming he built the UFC.
- White said the Culinary Union is losing tons of respect by going against the UFC, said they're bad people.
Those are just a few of the talking points that came out of the interview.
You can watch a video archive of White's appearance on "The Joe Rogan Experience" podcast right here.