UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort issued a statement on Saturday (Feb. 17, 2013) regarding fan and media criticism for his TRT usage in his last fight, a knockout victory against Michael Bisping at UFC on FX 7.
From UFC President Dana White's multiple rants (read here and here) over the weekend to Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold making some unsavory comments regarding TRT, the subject has really begun to pick up some steam as of late.
One man who is unquestionably responsible for a lot of the recent outcry is UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort, who was on TRT for his UFC on FX 7 victory over Michael Bisping last month; however, it was not revealed until recently that "The Phenom" was using the treatment for the bout.
Belfort was legally using TRT under the approval of the Brazilian athletic commission that oversaw the event in Sao Paulo, but when the news surfaced a much bigger issue was brought up.
The 25-year-old tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone in a 2006 bout under the Pride banner, something many believe should disqualify Belfort from using TRT.
A large contingent of people strongly feel that fighters who have previously tested positive for performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) should not be administered therapeutic-use-exemptions (TUE) for TRT due to the fact that previous drug abuse is likely what caused the athlete to suffer from low testosterone levels in the first place.
With Belfort in the midst of a lot of controversy and discussion, the Brazilian took to Twitter to issue what he says will be his one and only statement regarding TRT.
Here's what he had to say (edited for spelling):
"This will be last time that I will talk about TRT I never hide from UFC that I was on the treatment but I admit that I didn't admit to the press. I confess that this was my mistake I am MAN enough to admit my mistakes So from now on, guys please don't fight me if u going to use this as a excuse that's it. I never lie and never hide from UFC."
Belfort doesn't really say much in the statement, other than the fact you shouldn't fight him if you are going to complain about him being on what is technically a legalized medical treatment.
When Belfort says he "didn't admit to the press," he is referring to an interview with ESPN prior to UFC on FX 7 where he gave a very dodgy answer when the subject of TRT was brought up.
It has already came out that Belfort will be granted a TUE for TRT for his scheduled UFC on FX 8 fight against Rockhold on May 18, 2013, in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil, which Rockhold says he has no problem with, because he'll win anyways.
The UFC President was never openly against TRT until the out lash towards Belfort, so one would have to think the former UFC light heavyweight champion will be subject to the camp-round testing White said he will soon begin to administer to TRT users.