It might just be that I'm getting more cynical in my old age but, 2013 was a shit show of epic proportions. We lost one of the most influential people of the 20th century(No, not him. I'm talking about George Jones) and any remaining shred of confidence we had left in government. We had more mass shootings, more dissatisfaction with all levels of society and more general asshatery than I can remember in my scant few years on this Earth. We've lost a lot this year, friends, family members, GOATs, even Maniacs. Hell, with everything that has happened it's hard to remember that now is a time for celebration. For everything that went wrong this year we have the chance to redeem it in 2014. Whether you're in to the whole New Year's resolutions thing or not, having goals or at least something to look forward to sets a good trend for the next year. I hope y'all did better than me, I went 0 for 3 on my resolutions so, I'm dialing it back a bit this year. They key to success is setting obtainable goals. Progress no matter how small is still progress. So in that light here are a few things I'd like to see happen next year.
- See BJ Penn win a fight. Versus Edgar, versus Swanson, versus the guy trying to get the last rack of ribs at the Sizzler. It doesn't matter, someone, anyone.
- See college football go back to normal. UCF is going to a fucking BCS bowl? Northern Illinois in the top 25? This is madness and it needs to stop.
- Confirm that the NFL is slowly replacing all our favorite players with Cyborgs who ultimately end the human race. (I know I'm not alone on this)
- Date a black chick.(Don't judge me)
- Actually, for really real go on vacation this year.
- Eat lobster.
- Make it to a Mania road trip.
- Get my blue belt.
That's all I got guys, let me know what you've got planned for the next year. Let me know what you'd like to see happen. Or in typical Mania fashion you can just call me a pussy below in the comments.
I forgot, for you grapplers out there I thought maybe we could start a weekly or monthly post about what techniques we've had success with. Or just some cool stuff you picked up on the mats. We have some really knowledgeable people on this site that we could learn a lot from. I kinda nerd out when Bloody Elbow does their technique breakdowns and I really think we could use some more of those. If that is something you guys would like to see I'd be happy to get us started.
Cheers, and Happy New Year!