Not even on the heels of "The Phenom's" first-round demolition of Dan Henderson last weekend (Nov. 9, 2013) at UFC Fight Night 32, which went down from Goiania Arena in Goiania, Brazil. Belfort blasted "Hendo" in the opening seconds of round one (watch it here) en route to delivering yet another highlight reel head-kick knockout.
There is someone, however, who thinks Belfort is ready to vie for the title one more time.
After watching Vitor blitz through Henderson, former division kingpin, Anderson Silva, says if anyone deserves a shot at the belt right now it's his fellow countryman. Something he recently told a group of media members after the FOX Sports 1 event (via MMA Fighting):
"I believe he deserves to fight for the title, even because he has been doing his part (to earn a title shot), just like other fighters like Ronaldo Jacare and Lyoto Machida, who just dropped to 185. I saw the fight, he fought really well. Vitor has been doing great, showing why he was the UFC champion for a long time. He deserves respect. We'll just have to wait for the next chapters."
Belfort came up short in his first bid to capture the middleweight strap in 2011, losing via first round knockout to the aforementioned Silva at UFC 126.
Since then, "The Phenom" has been red hot and has positioned himself for a possible rematch against "The Spider." Of course, Anderson still has to defeat current champ Chris Weidman when the two meet at UFC 168 on Dec. 28, 2013.
Should Weidman shock the word (again), then a match-up pitting Belfort versus "All American" will do just fine. All Belfort has to do is get White and Co. on board.
Easier said than done.