Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) broke a few hearts last week when promotion president Dana White put the kibosh on a light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira, which was prematurely announced for the UFC 169 Super Bowl Weekend show on Feb. 1, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
White said the
event was murdered timing wouldn't work.
Specifically, Jones' timing, as the reigning 205-pound champion told Newsday he was a little too banged up from his five-round war against Alexander Gustafsson at last month's UFC 165 event in Toronto to make such a quick turnaround. Besides, what's the big rush for a guy his age?
"It was just a little too close. I felt like I was rushing a bit, and I talked to my team and everyone suggested I hold off for another month and a half. That last fight was a lot. So, I think the time is appropriate. I'm a young guy, and I don't think it's really necessary to rush anything."
To his credit, Jones has defended his title six times over the span of two years, a rapid pace established by his dominant performances against the best his division has to offer. His close unanimous decision against "The Mauler," which left "Bones" battered and bruised, was the first time he took any kind of significant damage in his career.
Let the man have a few months to get himself together.
The good news is, depending on what side of the argument you're on, is that Jones and Teixeira will still do the deed, just a few weeks later. No date or venue has been established at this time, but the promotion is working on coordinating it with a future Gustafsson fight, to help get that rematch going for the latter part of 2014.
Assuming both parties emerge victorious.