The polls have closed over at the official website for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and the results are in. Which pairs of mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters stepped up in 2012 and gave combat sports fans the 10 best fights of the year?
10. 125 lbs.: Louis Gaudinot vs. John Lineker (UFC on FOX 3)
9. 205 lbs.: James Te Huna vs. Joey Beltran (UFC on FUEL TV 4)
8. 185 lbs.: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen (UFC 148)
7. 125 lbs.: Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez (UFC 152)
6. 170 lbs.: Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva (UFC 153)
5. 170 lbs.: Georges St. Pierre vs. Carlos Condit (UFC 154)
4. 155 lbs.: Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar (UFC 144)
3. 145 lbs.: Eddie Yagin vs. Mark Hominick (UFC 145)
2. 145 lbs.: Chan Sung Jung vs. Dustin Poirier (UFC on FUEL TV 3)
1. 155 lbs.: Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon (UFC 155)
Something is missing...
Yep, it's the heavyweights. Though to be fair, nobody from bantamweight made the cut, either. Unless of course, you the fans, have something to say about that? Speaking of, our own Patrick Stumberg blew out his "Best of" list for 2012 (see it here) with a few similarities.
And a few differences.
While Patty also had the "Diamond" getting cut by the "Zombie" at number two, his choice of "Bendo" vs. "The Answer" was higher at number five. Probably to make room for this Strikeforce fight at number three. And his number one? It also had Joe Lauzon ... but it wasn't against Jim Miller.
Compare and contrast right here.
In the meantime, let's get some feedback from the peanut gallery. Anyone on this list who shouldn't be? And how about the order? I'd also be interested to hear from fans of the UFC's 135 and 265-pound divisions. What happened to you guys in 2012?