Photo by Tracy Lee via CombatLifestyle.com
Check out the week that was at MMAmania.com! We've got interviews, comments, fanposts, videos and gifs!
Welcome, Maniacs, to the twenty-sixth edition of "This Week in MMAmania.com." MMAmania is a gigantic and glorious place and we pump out a ridiculous amount of content. If you don't refresh this site every 60 minutes, you might just miss something amazing.
Have no fears, that's what this weekly article is all about! We'll recap the best of all things MMAmania, whether it be a great comment, a Fan Post, an article, video or something else.
- Comment of the Week: Nick Diaz has a really bad habit of ignoring phone calls from Dana White. Fat Daddy Doobs had an interesting theory that perhaps we don't understand the Stockton slugger. Perhaps no one has every actually taught him how to use one.
has anyone actually shown him how to answer the phone?
I can see that cro-magnon looking motherfucker desperately banging his phone against a rock while trying to answer it.
-Fat Daddy Doobs
- Article of the week: Dan Severn has retired. "The Beast" was one of MMA's great pioneers and his UFC debut was a sight to behold with the beautiful suplexes tossing his opponents around the Octagon. If you haven't read his final message to the fans, go check it out.
- Statistic of the week: For once, our most popular article of the week actually had to do with fights. The video highlights for Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos from this past weekend's UFC 155 is still one of our most visited articles a full week after the AKA standout won back his belt. Perhaps Velasquez being champion actually is better than Junior dos Santos.
- Fanpost of the Week: Ninja Oreo Dollop has a post with a video that has some of the best technical breakdowns of Dominick Cruz's footwork I've ever read. It's worth clicking the link just to watch the video alone.
- Honorable mention fanpost of the week: It's not a fanpost of the week without something from unambig. Here's his UFC 155 report card, go read it if you haven't already. .
- Honorable mention comment of the week: Patrick L. Stumberg brought some reason to the argument from that goofy boxer and why wrestling is so important even in a street fight.
Why do people think wrestling is useless in a street fight?
I keep hearing shit like "oh, Diaz would beat all those wrestlers in a street fight."
Would Fury be better at defending takedowns on concrete? No. It would just hurt like fuck when Cain dribbled his head off the sidewalk like a basketball.
-Patrick L. Stumberg
- Interview of the Week: We had a pretty cool interview with American Kickboxing Academy head trainer Javier Mendez after his top student Cain Velasquez won back his heavyweight title this past weekend.
But that's not all, we also have some exclusives with top Strikeforce lightweight contender Pat Healy Invicta 4 headliner Bec Hyatt, Invicta 4 co-main eventer Shayna Baszler and Glory CEO Marcus Luer. .
- Video of the Week: Chael Sonnen's appearance on the Jim Rome show is a hoot.
We don't just have great content on MMAmania, our writers also are very active on Twitter, most notably our beloved Geno Mrosko. If you know anything about Geno, he is quick to anger and is not afraid to call anyone out on their BS.
Here's our honorary #GenoTime Tweet of the Week: After complaining about him for a full year, Geno's favorite coach Lovie Smith was finally fired this week. His reaction was priceless:
I woke up today feeling like absolute shit but that's all gone now. IT'S GLORIOUS. IT'S SO FUCKING GLORIOUS.
Na na. Na na na na. Hey hey hey. Goodbye, Lovie. Na na. Na na na na. Hey hey hey. Goodbye, Lovie.
Bout to pop some bubbly. "Dude, New Year's isn't til later." Fuck the new year, LOVIE IS FIRED. HE'S GONE. Toast to Phil Emery.
Hope everybody is still partying hard today/tonight/tomorrow. Keep the good feelings rolling, fuck all this negative shit. 2013 is great.
If you want to catch any good tweets from your Mania writers, here are our accounts: Thomas Myers, Geno Mrosko, Jesse Holland, Adam Guillen Jr., Mike Bohn, Andrew Richardson, George Halvatsis Jr. and Brian Hemminger.
- Obligatory TNA of the Week: If this was the only thing girls ever did in the kitchen, I wouldn't complain.
Lastly, let's finish off the week with some Maniac debate. As the year comes to a close, let's get some input:
What are your predictions for the biggest fight that's created in 2013?
That's it for this week. If you've got an extra suggestions for content, or nominations for articles, comments or discussion topics, please feel free to e-mail me at (and I made this e-mail especially for this): HemmingerMMA@gmail.com.