Are you hungry for some UFC knowledge? Good, because MMAmania.com has you covered with 17 facts about UFC on FX 7: "Bisping vs. Belfort," which is scheduled for this Saturday (Jan. 19, 2013) from Ibirapuera Arena in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) resumes mixed martial arts (MMA) action for the first time since the beginning of 2013 with a return trip to the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo, the nation's most populous, as UFC on FX 7: "Belfort vs. Bisping" goes down this Saturday night (Jan. 19, 2013).
With the event just days away and anticipation growing for the promotion's first event of 2013, let's take a few minutes to review some event-related facts about UFC on FX 7.
Check them out:
- UFC on FX 7 is the UFC's first event in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo since UFC 17.5: "Ultimate Brazil" on Oct. 16, 1998.
- Bisping will earn a middleweight title shot with a win over Vitor Belfort in the main event.
- Belfort holds the UFC record for most first-round finishes (10).
- Nik Lentz has 11 career UFC fights, all of which have taken place on the "Prelims" under card.
- Brothers Yuri and Ilde Alcantara will both compete on the UFC on FX 7 fight card.
- Diego Nunes fights in his home country of Brazil for the first time since Aug. 2008.
- C.B. Dollaway is owner of the only Peruvian neck tie submission win in UFC history.
- Bisping is 4-1 in UFC main events fights over the course of his career.
- UFC has held five events in Brazil dating back to 1998. At those five events Brazilian fighters are 23-6 when facing opponents from other countries.
- Belfort has not competed in the middleweight division since a first-round knockout of Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 133 in Aug. 2011.
- Fifteen of the 22 fighters scheduled to compete on the card are Brazilian.
- Gabriel Gonzaga fights for the first time submitting Ednaldo Oliveira at UFC 142 in Jan. 2012.
- Bisping and Belfort both have 14-career (technical) knockout victories.
- Nunes has fought to a decision in all 10 of his fights under the Zuffa banner (UFC and WEC).
- Dollaway has been finished in all four of his professional losses (two technical knockout, two submission).
- Khabib Nurmagomedov owns the longest win-streak of any fighter on the card (18).
- Bisping will fight in the UFC for the 18th time in his career. Belfort will fight in the UFC for the 17th time. He made his Octagon debut in June 2006 while Belfort's first UFC fight was in Feb. 1997.
That's a wrap for this set of UFC facts.
Did you learn anything new/interesting? Do any of the facts change your perspective on Saturday's fights?
Let us know below!