Strikeforce will air one final star-studded event before the dissolution of the organization after more than six years in the business when Strikeforce: "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" goes down this Saturday night (Jan. 12, 2013) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
A welterweight championship bout between reigning titleholder Nate Marquardt and No. 1 contender Tarec Saffiedine will serve as the main event, while several other intriguing match ups are scheduled for the Showtime-televised main card with familiar names such as Daniel Cormier, Josh Barnett, Gegard Mousasi, and Ronaldo Souza.
With the event just days away and anticipation growing for the final event in Strikeforce history, let's take a few minutes to review some event-related facts about the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion's farewell fight fiesta.
Check them out:
- Strikeforce: "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" is the 63rd and final event in the organization's history.
- Mousasi competes for the first time since a unanimous decision victory against Ovince St. Preux on Dec. 17, 2011.
- Marquardt has finished his opponent in seven of his last eight victories.
- Kurt Holobaugh makes his Strikeforce debut against Pat Healy on 10 days notice.
- Cormier is a 20-1 betting favorite over his opponent, Dion Staring.
- Ed Herman, who faces Ronaldo Souza, is the first and only fighter to move from the UFC to Strikeforce for a one-off fight.
- Jorge Gurgel is 4-6 in his last 10 fights.
- Souza enters the event on the heels of a 41-second finish of Derek Brunson - the fastest fight of his career and first career knockout victory.
- Six fighters on the card will be making their Strikeforce debut.
- Seven of Daniel Cormier's 10 professional fights have taken place under the Strikeforce banner.
- Roger Gracie has not won a fight by submission since Jan. 2011.
- Mousasi has never lost by (technical) knockout in his 37-fight career.
- Barnett enters the event on the heels of a unanimous decision loss to Daniel Cormier, his first defeat since Dec. 31, 2006.
- Unranked Staring makes his Strikeforce debut against Daniel Cormier, the No. 3 ranked heavyweight in the SB Nation MMA rankings.
- In 25 professional fights, Anthony Smith has never gone to a decision.
- By the time Strikeforce: "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" takes place, it will have been 147 days since the last Strikeforce event, which took place Aug. 18, 2012.
That's a wrap for this set of fun Strikeforce facts ... forever.
Did you learn anything new/interesting? Do any of the facts change your perspective on Saturday's fights?
Let us know below!