Finally we are treated to a worthwhile MMA event and it's free. No bitching here.
Finally, we could add a new name to the Mania trophy of fame as Mania's resident Clint Eastwood brought home this season of the Money Pool. Ulf_Murphy will not only bring home $320 but will forever be immortalized in the Mania Hall of Fame. ShivanTiger scored the lowest point of his season and it failed him to secure the top spot. Not bad for a guy that is $150 richer after this event. Finally kg12 literally and figuratively sneaked out of nowhere and snatched the third place bragging rights and is $70 richer after 10 events.
Congratulations Ulf_Murphy, Shivan Tiger and kg12. You guys deserved all accolades for fighting hard and proving how tough competitors you are.
As for me, I totally shit the bed this event that I scored my worst performance of any season causing me to bow out of the top 5. I know I will shit the bed on a card and I could never imagined it will be at a time when I am in contention for third place. Not only did my favorite fighter lost his fight, my $70 turned into stone. Talk about pouring when it rains.
Let's head to the results, shall we:
Mania 1 camp:
- No one picked Brandon Vera among the 25 people who picked for this event. It should be a given fact that Shogun should win it. I am quite surprised that Brandon made it that far and has actually made it a fight. No surprises there except Shogun seemingly going downhill in this point of his career.
- Two people gave Ryan "Jonathan-Goulet like Chin, I got tapped by Jacob Ortiz" Bader to actually win. I thought Chida is going to coast to a point decision but he once again proved that his knockouts of Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans were no fluke. I still think he will lose to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ- Jon Jones (who will choke the shit out of
HendoViolent Mike in Denver). But boy Machida packs a lot of power when he used that counter right to knock Bader's chin and make him fall like a sack of potatoes.
- This was one of the closest picking-wise in our camp. 12 people have Oli while 13 gave De Fries. De Fries has Marcello-Guimares like technique and possessed zero power but boy did he hurt fucking Thompson before sinking in that fight-ending rear-naked choke. Perhaps Thompson can now go back to training people how to do dead lifts properly as clearly he does not belong to the MMA world. Go back to being a "Strong Man."
- 8 people gave Michiro Omigawa the nod to the disagreement of 16 people who picked Karo's cousin to win. Despite all his potentials, Omigawa has proven once again that Japanese-MMA simply cannot compete with the brand of MMA in the West. Not trying to be racist but there's simply something missing in Japanese MMA that could not compete with today's MMA. Go figure it out.
- I can't believe 2 people would actually give Darkness the nod to beat Mike Swick. Come on people, Mike Swick can rest for five years and he will still beat Damarques.
- This was the downer of the camp. 21 people gave Magrinho the nod while only 4 gave the Vietnamese the yes. This was a close fight that could have gone Miller's way. Just remember though that when it comes to split decisions-Phan has the better of Cole and that's probably what the judges were thinking.
- 10 people gave Josh Grispi the nod to win against Yahya. Seriously? How could anyone go for a guy that cal;ls himself "Fluke." Grispi lived up to his monicker and got submitted by one of the best jiu-jiutsu guys in the UFC. You cannot play with Yahya on the ground peepz.
- The hot bout of the evening and another one where the camp is torn (12 for Lauzonand 13 for Varner) and it proved two things: (1) Lauzon has cardio (2) Varner loses everytime to a submission guy, book it.
- The fight between Ulysses and Moraga is a toss up as no one, well perhaps unambig, knows who the hell are these fighters. 15 thought Gomez will not be "useless" com e fight time. Big disappointment though for the 15 people as Gomez showed how "useless" his stand-up game is.
- One-time Money Pool winner and perennial challenger BNF showed his mettle on this event as he led the pack of an otherwise low-scoring event. BNF scored 63 points going on a remarkable 7 of 8 picking wise and getting full points on Machida, Gamburyan, and getting 14 points for Lauzon. Good job BNF as you have shown that you still have it. Continue that momentum next season.
- Darkside leader and DetroitDrew protege Jido7 came in second by scoring 55 points and picking 6 out of 8 correct. What's remarkable and propelled my fellow Darksider is the fact that he got a perfect score for the Hot Bout, calling a third round submission for J-Lau. You have become Drew-like in your picks Jido7. I hope you continue that and see you next season.
- Our resurging Lady Maniac sarah has been getting her grooves and has been showing how impressive her picking finesse is. Sarah once again made an appearance on the top three of an event, this time she scored just one point below Jido at 54 points. sarah went 7 of 8 and got perfect a call on De Fries submitting the Olympian. Good job sarah.
- Rilly, the Australian fellow deserved to be recognized as well in this page together with Agar and Amos 14 for actually tying with sarah for 54 points. Don't be mad guys, I just think sarah should win third place. lol
- Bedshitter of the event goes to P-Dub. Thankfully he scored miserably at 18 (well just 4 points below me saving me from further humiliation). P-Dub went 2 out 8 in the picking and he only got the main event and co-main event corrects. You should also take note of the undercard P-Dub. BNF will give you your sig of shame.
The Story Lines:
- Ulf_Murphy picked consistently averaging 64 points per event and that proved helpful for his cause. What is even remarkable is that Ulf never won a single event. Reminds of Drew. Ulf managed to be in the top 10 of all events and even though he scored just 38 for this last event, he has topped up a safe cushion of points that even a late surge by those in the top 10 won't be able to topple him. He and Shivan have been going back and forth in the rankings for top place but the last event decided it for Clint. Good job Clint. You will now be forever immortalized in the Mania Trophy and Money Pool Hall of Fame. Looking forward to defending your title next season.
- Shivan Tiger played a remarkable season winning two events and had the courage to show all his picks for the public''s consumption. Quite remarkable picking-wise, Shiv was not afraid to experiment with his picks as shown by the TUF Brazil (he did not watch any episode and he still top billed the event). Shiv has that eye for finishes and he gets it most of the time. Unfortunately, he shit the bed for the last event causing his downfall. But hey, that's just two pints. Two fucking points behind. Not bad Beer Man. Looking forward to you trying to win next season. But there will be more contenders.
- kg12 is the most improved player in this season (well, arguably it could go to me as I went from 22nd to 6th this event but since I did not win any money, history will write it as kg12). kg12 has been placing in the top 10 of every event and his surge in the past three events proved beneficial to his cause. I had a large margin against him three events ago and he surmounted that and toppled the top three claiming victory. Very good job kg12. Hope you continue your momentum next season and who knows what is at stake for you.
The rest of the scores:
MMA Playground season 13: The 13th Warrior
10 / 10 events complete