Photo of Randy Couture via Lionsgate Films
What do you get when you cross mixed martial arts (MMA) with 80's action stars?
The number one movie at the box office for the weekend of Aug. 17-19, 2012. "The Expendables 2," featuring former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture, debuted in the number one spot with a gross of $28.7 million, according to estimates published on ComingSoon.net.
Good, but not great.
The sequel failed to match the $35 million the original posted in Aug. 2010, despite the addition of karate legend Chuck Norris, as well as more prominent roles for ex-box office juggernauts Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis, who appeared in small cameos the first time out.
See how The Expendables 2 stacked up against the rest of the competition, after the jump.
1. The Expendables 2 ($28.7 Million)
2. The Bourne Legacy ($17 million)
3. ParaNorman ($14 million)
4. The Campaign ($13.4 million)
5. Sparkle ($12 million)
6. The Dark Knight Rises ($11.1 million)
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green ($10.9 million)
8. Hope Springs ($9.1 million)
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid ($3.5 million)
10. Total Recall ($3.5 million)
Any Maniacs out there check this one out over the weekend? If so, what did you think? And how did it compare to the original?