But he's certainly free to take another fight in the interim.
That's according to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, who recently told media members that reigning middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, is taking a little break from the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) and won't be returning until after the new year.
"We haven't done anything yet. Anderson said he wants to take some time off until after the end of this year, [then] we'll start talking to him. [Chris Weidman] is in a great spot. The kid looked fantastic, demolished the number three guy. Demolished in spectacular fashion. He's got the right to call out whoever he wants [but] he's gonna have to wait, or fight, because Anderson's gonna fight after the end of the year."
Not that Silva has been too keen on fighting the "All American" in the first place.
In fact, the "Spider" camp has already gone on record and asked for superfights opposite welterweight studs Nick Diaz and Georges St. Pierre, while simultaneously shooting down proposed match-ups against Weidman and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones.
This middleweight thinks he's ducking him.
Weidman crushed Mark Munoz in the main event of the UFC on FUEL TV 4 event back on July 11 in San Jose, California, improving his record to 9-0 with six finishes. As far as title fights are concerned, he's the perfect fit while Alan Belcher faces off against Vitor Belfort in Brazil and Michael Bisping takes on Brian Stann in Toronto.
Anyone out there (besides Silva) disagree?
The Brazilian took his sweet time prior to getting back inside the Octagon against Chael Sonnen at the UFC 148 pay-per-view (PPV) last month in Las Vegas and could just be waiting to see how things unfold while he enjoys a little rest and relaxation.
If you were Chris Weidman's manager, what would your advice be?