"Cigano" was originally expected to take on former Strikeforce and K-1 Champion Alistair Overeem in a title bout at UFC 146 in "Sin City" on May 26, 2012, until "Ubereem" was unable to get licensed to fight in Nevada, as a result of his having issues with his testoterone-to-epistestosterone ratio when he was randomly tested in April.
So, dos Santos soldiered on and took the next man in line, who happened to be Frank Mir. The fight was completely one-sided and became just another one of "JDS'" highlight reel knockouts.
With Overeem still out of the picture (being unable to re-apply for a Nevada license until December of this year), dos Santos has been said to be taking on former heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez, and most thought the fight would go down at UFC 152 in Toronto, Ontario, on Sept. 22, 2012.
That is until UFC President Dana White put that rumor to bed, stating that dos Santos' health had given them cause to move the fight back a bit.
So, when will dos Santos fight again? And is he really afraid of Overeem?
Find out the answer to both questions, after the jump:
In reference to his fight with Velasquez being pushed back, dos Santos said (during an interview with "UFC Tonight") that he really hadn't ever planned to fight at UFC 152 in the first place:
"I don't know actually. After the fight I was feeling some pain on my body, you know because my camp for the fight is very hard and very tough. So I was feeling some pain, but the UFC didn't ask me to fight there. They didn't tell me anything, so here I am."
It looks as though a match up between dos Santos and Velasquez at UFC 152 is completely out of the question, but the champion thinks some time in November would be a good fit for the bout to go down:
"I don't know. I am ready to be training again and I'll be ready for the fight. I don't know when it's going to happen. I hope soon. November would be a really great date for my fight. I am feeling 100% healthy and happy."
Earlier in the week, during an interview with MMAfighting.com, Overeem declared that he feels dos Santos is afraid of him.
"Cigano" laughed at the idea, but he's more than willing to dispel the notion in the cage, and he believes "The Demolition Man" will sing a different tune, once he connects with his thunderous hands:
"I am afraid? HAHA. Man the school of Chael Sonnen is going to have more students because now he [Overeem] is going to start a lot of crap just because the UFC gave Chael the opportunity to fight Anderson again. But if he thinks he's better than me, he can come fight me and when he feels the power of my hands he is going to change his mind."
For any and all updates regarding a possible date and event for Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez, be sure to check in regularly with MMAmania.com.