What the Feijao is this?
Rafael Cavalcante defeated Mike Kyle at the Strikeforce: "Barnett vs. Cormier" event just this past May 19, 2012, in San Jose, California. He was impressive in doing so, too, submitting "Mak" just 33 seconds into the very first round.
It turns out, he may have had some chemical assistance.
That's because the Brazilian tested positive for a banned substance following the bout, according to MMAFighting.com, who confirmed the information with California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) Executive Officer George Dodd.
Due to the infraction, "Feijao" has been suspended for one year and fined $2,500.
There's no word on what exactly the banned substance was, as Dodd did not release that information. But the Cavalcante camp is already vowing to fight the charge with an appeal:
Ed Soares, Cavalcante's manager, told MMAFighting.com that they have replied to the CSAC's letter and will be appealing the suspension.
"I believe in his innocence, and we're fighting it," Soares said. "We stand behind him. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense."
What makes this even more troubling is that Cavalcante was reportedly looking at a title shot later in the year thanks to his victory over Kyle, which could now be overturned thanks to the failed test.
Even worse is the fact that this marks yet another instance of a Strikeforce employed fighter testing positive for a banned substance. Cristiane Justino was suspended by the CSAC in December of last year while Muhammad Lawal was popped by the Nevada State Athletic Commission earlier this year.
He's since been dropped by the promotion and signed with Bellator.
Does a similar fate await Cavalcante? It would be foolish to speculate at present time, as all the facts have yet to come out and "Feijao" still has yet to get his time in court.
But it doesn't look good early.
Thoughts on all this, Maniacs? Is news like this becoming far too common in mixed martial arts (MMA)?