209 baby. You've got to give it to Nathan Diaz for coming in well-prepared and he showed a complete game in his dominating submission victory over perennial contender New Jersey's own Jim Miller. Another contender emerged in the WW division as Johnny Hendricks won over Koscheck in a split-decision.
New season, new faces for the Money Pool. Recent winners ViolentMike and ItalianStallion54 were outpicked at this event. Will the trend continue? Let's hope!
Let's go straight to the fight results:
155 lbs.: Nate Diaz defeats Jim Miller via Submission (Power Guillotine) Round 2
Main Card (FOX):
170 lbs.: Johny Hendricks defeats Josh Koscheck via Split Decision
185 lbs.: Alan Belcher defeats Rousimar Palhares via TKO (Strikes) Round 1
265 lbs.: Lavar Johnson defeats Pat Barry via TKO (Strikes) Round 1
Preliminary Card (FUEL TV):
155 lbs.: Michael Johnson def. Anthony Ferguson via unanimous decision
125 lbs.: John Dodson def. Tim Elliott via unanimous decision
170 lbs.: John Hathaway def. Pascal Krauss via unanimous decision
125 lbs.: Louis Gaudinot def. John Lineker via submission (guillotine) at 4:54 of round two
155 lbs.: Danny Castillo def. John Cholish via unanimous decision
145 lbs.: Dennis Bermudez def. Pablo Garza via unanimous decision
Preliminary Card (Facebook):
135 lbs.: Roland Delorme def. Nick Denis via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:59 of round one
185 lbs.: Karlos Vemola def. Mike Massenzio via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:07 of round two
Mania1 Fight Camp Interesting Insights:
- The fight camp is very much split on Diaz-Miller (15 went for 209 and 14 went for Jersey kid)
- 11 people thought Pat Barry is good. Pat never fails to disappoint.
- 8 people actually believed Massenzio is going to outwrestle Vemola. Guess what Mazz got submitted.
- Only 2 people picked the Green-Haired Monster to beat the guy that missed weight. The rest suffered.
- Again, 8 people thinks that Krauss is going to work Hathaway. Hathaway just finds a way to win.
- Despite unambig's build-up of Cholish, Castillo won
- 9 people thinks Koscheck will win. Well, it seemed having that plane and three cars made him lose that killer instinct, explosiveness and power striking that he has. Or maybe he is not that good.
- 18 people thought another leg will be brought back to Brazil. Instead, Belcher (picked by 11 people) knocked out Palhares
- Garza has highlight finishes but Bermudez is a grinder and a harder worker as he gave points to only 9 people in the camp.
- Michael Johnson disappointed 28 people in the camp as he won by unanimous decision.
- All 28 people picked Dodson. They were right.
- One man actually gave Delorme a shot to win and he did at the expense of 27 people.
- The guy that liberally discussed his picks at the Mania fan post won the event! Would you believe it? unambig is $20 richer and has bragging rights for having won the first event of the season. How good was that? No one imagined unambig winning this and he won. He did it by scoring 69 points getting 8/12 correct picks. He got full points on Lavar, Hathaway, Castillo, and Dodson. He also got 10 points from the 209. Congratulations unam. By the way, don't forget to give The Pride his signature. More on that later.
- Getting 2nd place is sticky fingers/Ricky Dooby's favorite Rilly who scored 65 points by also getting 8/12 correct picks. Rilly got perfect points for Lavar, Hathaway, and Castillo. His love affair with Garza cost him the victory.
- 3rd place for the first event is dlocc who also scored 65 points and getting 8/12 correct picks. He got full points on Lavar, Castillo and Bermudez.
Hall of Shame Award
- Andrew attended the event at East Rutherford, New Jersey. That did not prevent him from losing his "Pride" by scoring a measly 16 points by getting 11 points on Castillo and 5 points for Dodson. That has to be the lowest anyone has scored in a camp on Mania. You're the new sarah/Jay of this camp Andrew.
- As it has been the tradition, unambig will give The Pride a siganture which he will have to wear till the next event.
The rest of the scores:
Maniacs By the Books:
- Vemola is ass. He has 2 minute cardio and weak everything. He goes hulk smash for 2 minutes and if u don’t get finished ur fine – The Pride
- garza sub- garza is a badass, will land something painful and then sub him when dennis shoots - The Pride
- This is gonna be war cant wait!!! gonna go with miller simply because judges hate diaz bros - The Pride
- Palhares will win, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. I feel bad for Belcher, I like both guys. – freenow82
- Those 4 guys win 99% of the time (Ferguson, Dennis, Lineker, Dodson) – The Pride
- Bermudez has choked, literally, in two of his last three fights, while Garza is a submission guy.- unambig
- And although Lineker has a very impressive streak of beating cans in Brazil, I don't have the courage to pick against the overwhelming number of people who seem to think he's going to win. And if there's anything you should have learned about me by now, it's that I'm easily swayed by popular opinion. – unambig
- Look at the lines. There is a reason Miler went from -210 to -260… - Ulf Murphy
- really? Nate is just not that good. Tenacious yes, good, no - Ulf Murphy
- But Lavar hits like a mack truck. Even a glancing blow should put him away. Lavar is a proven finisher even against extremely durable guys. And he’s got the reach. almost 10 inchs as well as height. You guys will regret picking pat. -- NNR
That's a wrap guys. Hit the comments section for your say on everything. See you on May 15 Maniacs for our second event.