Alistair Overeem NSAC hearing set for April 24, UFC 146 main event decision comes after

DALLAS TX - FEBRUARY 04: Heavyweight Champion Alistair Overeem attends The Black Eyed Peas Super Bowl Party presented by Sports Illustrated and Bacardi at Music Hall At Fair Park on February 4 2011 in Dallas Texas. (Photo by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Bacardi)

Earlier today, it was reported that UFC President Dana White has already decided to keep the Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez fight intact as a main card showcase at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

That seemed like an interesting decision considering the circumstances.

Those circumstances include Alistair Overeem having failed a surprise drug test at a press conference and throwing his main event match-up against Junior dos Santos into doubt. The situation is murky in the sense that Overeem can't be suspended because he hasn't actually been licensed for the heavyweight title fight over the Memorial Day weekend.

Which means he's going to have to appear in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) to plead his case. So far, he hasn't requested for his "B" sample to be tested to confirm (or deny) the positive result of his "A" sample. Either way, he's fighting an uphill battle and he's going to need to come up with an awful good reason for his T/E ratio being 14:1 when normal levels are 1:1.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer recently told the MMA Show that Overeem's hearing in front of the Commission will take place on April 24, where they will determine whether or not to license him for the fight. As it turns out, that's the reason Dana White has yet to make a decision on a replacement opponent for dos Santos.

The Wrestling Observer reports that White told them no decision will be made prior to Overeem's hearing. He did reiterate, however, that a heavyweight championship fight will take place at UFC 146, no matter what.

That almost makes it sound as though UFC is hoping "The Reem" has a damn good explanation and ultimately is granted a license and the fight goes ahead as first planned. That seems like a long shot, but crazier things have happened in this game.

In the meantime, a back-up plan will surely have to be put together. Fans are still rallying for Mark Hunt to step in while others are clamoring for the UFC to sign Fedor Emelianenko. Even Dan Henderson has thrown his name in the ring, saying he would definitely take the fight if offered.

All that will have to wait, though. April 24 is the date to mark on your calendars, Maniacs.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5349_tracker