Hello maniacs, I am currently enrolled in a College course that primarily revolves around popular culture. As our final assignment, we are to conduct a questionnaire with people who have some understanding of the topic of our choice.
If you haven't figured it out by now my topic is on Mixed Martial Arts. Why? Because it's the best sport out there! Am I right boys? Everything about the sport is just amazing! The adrenaline rush from watching, the storylines that develop, and the OMGWTF moments that keep us on the edge of our seats; are just some of the few things that makes this sport so great.
You can leave your answers here if you'd like, or you can email them to me. You can be as vague as you'd like or explain yourself as thoroughly as you see fit. My final product will be a 6 to 8 page analysis of the fandom that surrounds MMA. I will also restate Daniel Cavicchi's argument on fandom and describe his methodology from his book Tramps Like Us. The book primarily examines Bruce Springsteen fans but also has an insighful look into the world of fandom. I will look out for similarities and differences within all your responses. Due to the short nature of this assignment, I can't include you all specifically in my analysis. I will pick out the responses that best exemplify the average MMA enthusiast. But then again, there really isn't anything "average" about all of us! We are all warriors! Anyway, enough chit chat. Let's do this, boys!
I am looking forward to reading all your responses. Thank you all in advance!
1. How long have you been a MMA fan?
2. Had you heard if MMA before you were a fan?
3. How did you become a fan of MMA?
4. How old were you when you first became a fan?
5. Was becoming an MMA fan a gradual process, or an instantaneous event?
6. What event or fight made you sure that you were a fan?
7. What three adjectives would you use to describe MMA?
8.Do you own any MMA related merchandise? If so, what is it?
9. Who is your favorite fighter? Why?
10. Which fighter do you despise the most? Why?
11. What fighter do you identify with the most?
12. What is your favorite fight of all time? Why?
13. On average how many hours do you dedicate to MMA on any given day? (Estimate total time reading news, discussion, watching etc.)
14. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate yourself as an MMA fan? (10 being the highest, 1 being the lowest.)
15. How many friends do you have that are also MMA fans?
16. Have you ever made a friend because you both liked MMA?
17. What MMA organizations do you watch?
18. Complete the following: “In general, I use MMA to”: (mark all that apply with an X)
Remember the past:
Socialize with others:
Think about life:
Work through my moods:
19. How often do you discuss MMA with other people?
20.How would you describe a casual fan of MMA?
21. How would you describe a hardcore fan of MMA?
22. Has MMA ever left you disappointed? Describe the event.
23. Is there anything that would lead you to not be a fan anymore? If so, what is it?
24. Has being an MMA fan shaped the way you view the world? If so, how?
25. Have you ever been judged or looked down upon for being a fan of MMA?
26. Have you ever tried to convert someone into being a fan of MMA? If so, how?
27. How old are you?
28. Are you male or female?
29. Where are you located?
30. What is your highest level of education completed? (Some high school, high school, some college, College degree?)
31. What is your marital status? (Single, married, divorced?)
32. Present employment? (Unemployed, part-time, full-time?)
Edit* As suggested by (shonuff), I have added a couple other questions.
33. What is your favorite thing about MMA?
34. What do you think distinguishes MMA from other sports?
You have officially completed my questionnaire. You are a warrior and a destroyer of galaxies (just like Dan Henderson.) Thank you for your assistance!