Two former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight champions -- Murilo Bustamante and Dave Menne -- collided last night (March 31, 2012) in the Amazon Forest Combat (AFC) 2 from the Amadeu Teixeira Gymnasium in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil.
It was a rematch more than a decade in the making, with Bustamante stopping Menne in their first encounter at UFC 35: "Throwdown" in Jan. 2002 via technical knockout. History (kind of) repeated itself in their second tilt, with the Brazilian getting the victory again; however, needing the nod from the ringside judges to take home a unanimous decision.
In the co-main event of the evening, former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) number one 185-pound title contender, Thales Leites, took on Matt Horwich, who was in the midst of a three-fight losing skid. Leites extended it to four with a second round submission, exacting revenge after suffering a surprise submission loss to "Suave" back in 2010.
That's now six wins for Leites in his last seven appearances, making a case to perhaps return to the Octagon sooner rather than later.
- Murilo Bustamante defeated Dave Menne via unanimous decision
- Thales Leites defeated Matt Horwich vis submission (arm-triangle choke) in round two
- Patrick Cote defeated Gustavo Machado via knockout in round one
- Pete Spratt defeated Daniel Acacio via unanimous decision
- Ronys Torres defeated Ferrid Kheder via technical knockout (punches) in round one
- Dileno Lopes defeated Javier Ocampo via submission
- Emiliano Sordi defeated Fabiano Capoani via technical knockout (punches)
- Rivaldo Junior defeated Marcelo Rojo via unanimous decision
- Luiz Fernando defeated Pablo Javier Llampa via technical knockout (punches)
Spratt connected with an incredible spinning backfist at the buzzer, which knocked out Acacio cold. To watch the highlight-reel near finish click here.