Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight number one contender Alistair Overeem, who must appear in court next month to answer for charges of misdemeanor battery, is still expected to challenge Junior dos Santos for the division crown.
That's according to UFC President Dana White, who told media members following the UFC 143 pre-fight press conference that "Demolition Man" is still on schedule for his showdown with "Cigano:"
This Overeem thing is a weird thing. For me to speak on it, I don't really know enough about it. I guess he went to XS, a club here in Las Vegas, and he had to use the restroom. This is my knowledge of what happened: He went to go use the restroom, security was going to take him, he said he didn't need security, and sure enough, he goes over there — and this is his side of the story — some lady started yelling and swinging at him and everything else. I don't think he's in that much trouble. This isn't a situation where he beat someone up or did anything crazy. I don't think that's the case. I'm planning on Alistair Overeem fighting [Junior dos Santos].
Overeem was accused of making contact with a woman at the Wynn casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, causing her to "stagger back" in a report issued earlier this week.
"The Reem" was not arrested, rather issued a citation that will call for him appear on Feb. 21, 2012, where his attorney plans to "vigorously defend" his client's innocence.
"I have advised Alistair not to comment on this matter, and that we will do our talking in the court. It should be noted that Alistair was not arrested; he was summoned to court. There are two sides to this story, and we intend on vigorously defending this as Alistair maintains his innocence."
Overeem was on location as the headliner for UFC 141: "Lesnar vs. Overeem," where he stopped former division champion Brock Lesnar via first round technical knockout. After that, well, only he and the woman in question can know for sure.
And perhaps the "eye in the sky."