Mark J. Rebilas-US PRESSWIRE
Before the 2012 campaign comes to an end and the UFC ramps up for a New Year of incredible fights, FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" will air a two-part special counting down the "Top 50 Moments of 2012." Part two aired Tuesday night, featuring moments 25-21. Check out the list below and tell us if you agree!
With Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) action nearly in the books for 2012, fight fans have the chance to reflect on what was a solid year inside the Octagon.
There were knockouts, submissions, triumphs, disappointments, comebacks, new champions and much, much more over the past 12 months. And there's still one more event to go -- UFC 155: "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez 2" -- which goes down on Dec. 29, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The past year has been unforgettable, but as mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, we're always looking forward to what's next on the agenda ... we rarely take time to appreciate the great moments that have passed us by.
Before shutting the door on 2012 for good, FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" took a moment to look back and give credit to the best of the year that was, counting down the "Top 50 Moments of 2012."
Part one of the year-end special aired last week, naming moments 50-26. Catch up on those here. Part two of the year-end special aired Tuesday night, counting down moments 25-1.
Check them out:
25. Justin Lawrence knocks out John Cofer cold with a head kick at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Live" Finale.
24. Carlos Condit defeats Nick Diaz by unanimous decision to win the interim UFC welterweight championship at UFC 143.
23. Martin Kampmann comes-from-behind in the third round to submit Thiago Alves with a guillotine choke at UFC on FX 3
22. Donald Cerrone becomes the first man to finish Melvin Guillard with strikes at UFC 150.
21. Benson Henderson defends his UFC lightweight championship for the second time against Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 5.
20. Anderson Silva moves up to light heavyweight on short notice and defeats Stephan Bonnar by first-round technical knockout at UFC 153.
19. Junior dos Santos defends his UFC heavyweight championship for the first time against Frank Mir at UFC 146.
18. Lyoto Machida defeats Ryan Bader by second-round knockout at UFC on FOX 4
17. Nate Diaz becomes the first man to submit Jim Miller in the main event of UFC on FOX 3.
16. Jake Ellenberger earns a unanimous decision over Diego Sanchez in front of his hometown crowd at UFC on FUEL TV 1.
15. Nick Denis makes a memorable UFC debut by elbowing Joseph Sandoval en route to a technical knockout victory at UFC on FX 1.
14. Benson Henderson dethrones Frankie Edgar to become UFC lightweight champion in the UFC's return to Japan at UFC 144.
13. Tim Boetsch comes-from-behind to knock out Yushin Okami in the third round of their middleweight battle at UFC 144.
12. Chris Weidman announces his place as a contender with a brutal elbow knockout of Mark Munoz at UFC on FUEL TV 4.
11. Ryan Jimmo records one of the fastest knockouts in UFC history with his 7-second finish of Anthony Perosh at UFC 149.
10. Jon Jones successful defends the UFC light heavyweight championship against bitter rival Rashad Evans at UFC 145.
9. Chan Sung Jung submits Dustin Poirier with a D'Arce choke in the fourth round of their ‘Fight of the Year' candidate at UFC on FUEL TV 3.
8. Anthony Pettis nearly decapitates Joe Lauzon with a kick to the head at UFC 144.
7. Johny Hendricks makes a case for top contender status in the UFC welterweight division with a 46-second knockout of Martin Kampmann at UFC 154.
6. Jon Jones survives a submission scare from Vitor Belfort and goes on to defend his UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 152.
5. Cung Le scores a stunning highlight reel knockout over future Hall-of-Famer Rich Franklin in the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 6.
4. Jose Aldo knocks out Chad Mendes with a knee and celebrates in the crowd with the Brazilian fans at UFC 142.
3. Georges St-Pierre returns from an 18-month layoff due to injury and successfully unifies the UFC welterweight title with a unanimous decision victory over Carlos Condit at UFC 154.
2. Edson Barboza knocks Terry Etim into another dimension with the first and only spinning heel kick knockout in UFC history at UFC 142.
1.Anderson Silva silences Chael Sonnen and sends him out of the UFC middleweight division with a second-round TKO victory at UFC 148.
If you missed either part of the top moments countdown, a one-hour special will air Jan. 1, 2013, on FUEL TV, featuring all 50 moments.
Do you agree with the second half of the list? Was Silva's victory over Sonnen your number one moment of 2012? If not, what was your top moment from the past 12-months?
Let's hear it, Maniacs!