USA TODAY Sports
B.J. Penn had a rough night when he took on Rory MacDonald at UFC on FOX 5 earlier this month. "The Prodigy" was on the receiving end of a decisive loss, leaving his future in question once again. On Monday's edition of "Inside MMA" on AXS TV, Penn provided his first public comments since the loss, stating he's going to "take some time" before making a decision on his future.
B.J. Penn has been silent since suffering a one-sided decision loss to Rory MacDonald at UFC on FOX 5: "Henderson vs. Diaz" a little more than one-week ago. "The Prodigy" was taken to a Seattle, Wash., hospital immediately following the fight and therefore did not speak to media about his future nor has he conducted any interviews since the Dec. 8, 2012, defeat.
With only one victory in his past six fights and at the ripe age of 34, Penn's next move is unknown. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White said he would like to see Penn retire, stating the Hawaiian has nothing left to prove after an illustrious career that has spanned 11 years and 22 fights inside the Octagon.
Although White would like to see one of the sport's most recognizable names hang up his gloves, he's leaving the final decision up to the future UFC Hall-of-Famer, who says he has yet to make a decision regarding what's in story for his future as a mixed martial arts (MMA) competitor.
"I am taking some time to figure it out," Penn told AXS TV's "Inside MMA" news program on Monday.
For Penn fans, hope is still alive that the former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion will compete again. After retiring in the cage following a defeat to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 in Oct. 2011, it appears the Hilo native is taking his time before making any major decisions.
Who would you like to see Penn fight if he returns to the Octagon for another bout? And at what weight class? Or would you prefer "The Prodigy" hang up the gloves for good after the blowout loss to MacDonald?
Let us know in the comments section below.