USA TODAY Sports
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 16 Finale took place Saturday night (Dec. 15, 2012) in Las Vegas, Nevada, with Roy Nelson defeating Matt Mitrione by knockout in the main event. The undercard crowned a new welterweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter reality show while Pat Barry and Dustin Poirier also picked up main-card victories. Those are facts. And we have more.
There were plenty of facts to come out of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 16 Finale, which took place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Dec. 15, 2012.
Some are notable; others irrelevant and a few will expand your knowledge.
For instance, we know that Roy Nelson and Matt Mitrione collided in the main event, with "Big Country" coming out on top via first-round technical knockout and, in the process, becoming the first man to finish "Meathead."
That's not all we know, though.
Check out 17 post-fight facts about TUF 16 Finale below:
- The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale saw eight-straight fights end by (T)KO or submission, the most consecutive finishes on a UFC card since UFC 103 on Sept. 19, 2009.
- Rutam Khabilov's first-round knockout of Vinc Pichel was the second knockout win via slam in his career.
- Roy Nelson has won four UFC fights by first-round knockout.
- Jamie Varner and Melvin Guillard, who had their fight canceled just over an hour before the main card, were both paid their "show" money by the UFC.
- Marcon Vinicius Borges Pancini was knocked out for just the second time in his 25-fight career.
- Matt Mitrione, James Head, Vinc Pichel and Reuben Duran were all on the receiving end of their first-career (T)KO losses at TUF 16 Finale.
- The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale drew an announced attendance of 2,500 for a $318,525 gate.
- Six of the seven "Prelims" bouts ended in a (T)KO or submission.
- With the last-minute cancellation of Jamie Varner vs. Melvin Guillard, five of the last seven UFC cards have had a scheduled fight scrapped within 24-hours of the event.
- According to FightMetric, TJ Waldburger holds the UFC-high for average submission attempts per 15-minutes of fighting at 6.36.
- Total fight time of the 11-bout TUF 16 Finale fight card was one-hour, 17 minutes and nine seconds.
- Colton Smith went to a decision for the first time in his five-fight career.
- Pat Barry, TJ Waldburger, Tim Elliott and Jared Papazian were awarded $40,000 post-fight bonuses.
- After opening his career with 11 consecutive victories, Shane Del Rosario has lost two-straight fights by (T)KO.
- Colton Smith became the 27th winner of the The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) reality show with his unanimous decision victory over Mike Ricci.
- Mike Pyle has five career (T)KO victories. Three of those came in his last three fights.
- Whether he came out on the winning or losing end, Pat Barry's last five fights have received the "Knockout of the Night," "Submission of the Night," or "Fight of the Night" bonus.
That's a wrap for this set of UFC facts.
Did you learn anything new/interesting? Do any of the facts change your perspective on Saturday's fights?
Let us know below!