"Cyborg" was fined $2,500 and suspended for one year after testing positive for steroids (Stanzolol metabolites) following her 16-second knockout win over Hiroko Yamanaka back on Dec. 17, 2011, in San Diego, California.
Strikeforce subsequently stripped her of her 145-pound title.
The Brazilian issued a statement shortly after learning of her suspension, indicating that she was having a difficult time cutting weight for last month's fight and used a dietary supplement that she "was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition."
Could that be the crux of her upcoming appeal?
SI.com has the report:
Santos' manager, who asked not to be identified by name, said a response letter was mailed to the CSAC on Monday requesting a hearing in front of the seven-member commission.
CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd said Santos' appeal would likely be heard at an April 6 meeting with the venue to be determined.
Santos' manager said its believed that the supplement in question was given to the fighter by a "trusted individual" in her camp to take orally, but that all the supplements she took are currently being reviewed.
Cyborg's technical knockout (TKO) win over Yamanaka was overturned by the CSAC and ruled a "no contest."
Santos has run through her competition under the Strikeforce banner since making her way over in 2009, with wins over notable female fighters like Gina Carano and Marloes Coenen. Those victories, even if she was clean at the time, will likely be forever tainted in the eyes of the public.
Strikeforce released a statement just last week indicating a neutral position; however, the 145-pound division is undoubtedly in peril, as evidenced by UFC President Dana White telling ESPN that Santos getting popped "pretty much kills" the division.
Unless by some miracle the CSAC clears her of any wrongdoing.