Earlier this month, we here at MMAmania.com embarked on a quest to determine the best of the best in the year 2011. Naturally, that includes submissions, the grislier the better.
That's evidenced by the winner in the category, as the calm, cool and collected Frank Mir snapped Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's arm in half at the UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida event this past Dec. 10, 2011, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
It was the first time in the legendary "Minotauro's" career that he had been submitted. Interestingly enough, the commission considers the arm break a technical knockout, meaning it won't officially go down as an actual submission.
It's our winner, nontheless.
It was a two-horse race, in the end. The only other submission to even challenge Mir breaking Nogeira's arm was Chan Sung Jung's tapout inducing Twister of Leonard Garcia back at UFC Fight Night 24 back in March.
The full results of our poll for the best submission of 2011 are after the jump.
- Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira -- 753 votes
- Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia -- 518 votes
- Richard Hale vs. Nik Fekete -- 66 votes
- Vinny Magalhaes vs. Viktor Nemkov -- 55 votes
- Pablo Garza vs. Yves Jabouin -- 46 votes
- Pat Curran vs. Luis Palomino -- 20 votes
- Other -- 16 votes