Dan Henderson (left) and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (right) engaged in an incredible 25-minute bout at UFC 139 on Nov. 19, 2011, in San Jose, California.
Earlier this month, we here at MMAmania.com embarked on a quest to determine the best of the best in the year 2011. Up first was the "Fight of the Year," a tough category considering all the outstanding brawls spread across the UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator and beyond.
There was no title on the line nor was it a number one contender bout. It was simply two old legends from Pride FC whose paths never crossed until now. And the bloody five-round war that ensued was nothing short of spectacular.
Henderson came roaring out of the gate with his trademark right hand, landing big shots that bruised up Rua, who looked overmatched. But "Shogun" persevered and eventually came roaring back, finishing the fight with a dominant fifth round.
When all was said and done, "Hendo" was awarded a unanimous decision win. It was deemed somewhat controversial, as fans of the Brazilian cried foul at the judges scoring but we could all agree on one thing.
It was one hell of a fight.
The results of our poll for the best fight of 2011 are after the jump.
- Dan Henderson vs. Shogun Rua -- 1,657 votes
- Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 3 -- 312 votes
- Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2 -- 262 votes
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler -- 208 votes
- Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley -- 132 votes
- Diego Brandao vs. Dennis Bermudez -- 76 votes
- Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann -- 70 votes
- Other -- 47 votes
- Daniel Straus vs. Nazareno Malegarie -- 15 votes