Former number one welterweight contender, and consensus number two-ranked 170-pound fighter in the world, Jon Fitch, was ruled out as a replacement for Carlos Condit to rematch B.J. Penn at UFC 137 on Oct. 29, 2011.
Company president Dana White today clarified the situation, sorta, telling Heavy MMA that "Fitch wouldn't be ready for that fight" at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. That statement, however, directly contradicts what the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) standout told MMA Nation this evening:
"We told the UFC that I'll be ready and willing to fight either B.J. Penn or Nick Diaz."
Fitch is currently rehabbing from major shoulder surgery, which forced him out of his originally-planned rematch with "The Prodigy" earlier this year. He was just cleared to resume training last month and had to pass on the opportunity to replace an injured Diego Sanchez later this month opposite Matt Hughes.
It's unclear if there is a miscommunication or White simply is totally disinterested in another fight that involves Fitch and Penn.
Having said that, during the UFC 137 press conference earlier today, during which White replaced Nick Diaz with the aforementioned Condit opposite St. Pierre, White alluded to a "crazy" match up for the Hawaiian that would make fans "flip" if he can get it done.
He didn't provide any clues. Care to take a guess?