UFC 135 Facebook results and recap for 'Jones vs. Rampage'

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) just completed the Facebook undercard portion of its UFC 135: "Jones vs. Rampage" event tonight (Sept. 24, 2011) at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.

Featherweight Junior Assuncao made his Octagon return in a match-up against former Tachi Palace Fights champions Eddie Yagin in a bout that wasn't a crowd pleaser by any stretch of the imagination.

From the opening horn, Assuncao almost refused to engage, keeping his hands low, while constantly switching stances. Yagin rushed in several times, but each attempt was answered with strikes and takedowns, which he seemed almost entirely unable to defend.

After two rounds that were fairly stagnant, Assuncao turned it on big time and ended up on top of his foe with about two minutes to go. The final portion of the fight was spent with Assuncao raining down elbows and hammerfists while Yagin tried to just survive.

Assuncao came away with an uneventful unanimous decision.

Cole Escovedo looked to rebound from his UFC 130 loss to Renan Barao on May 28. His opponent was former Shooto and World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) veteran Takeya Mizugaki, who was also coming off a loss to Brian Bowles at UFC 132 on July 2.

Mizugaki's pinpoint punching was way too much for Escovedo, who consistently looked to clinch and ate punches in the process. 

Oddly enough, Escovedo was the aggressor, for the most part, but was answered every time by a nice, crisp combination. At 4:30 of the second round, Mizugaki was able to swarm his clearly hurt opponent, causing the referee to call a stop to the action.

Mizugaki has very impressive power for a bantamweight and this was a very impressive performance.

In a light heavyweight throwdown session, New Zealander James Te Huna squared off against Ricardo Romero, who had been on quite a tear before he ran headfirst into a wall named Kyle Kingsbury at UFC 126 on Feb. 5.

Sadly, tonight's fight was a bit of a repeat.

Romero shot early for a takedown. He was unsuccessful and was clipped in the process by a powerful punch from the Aussie.

Staggered, Romero never really regained his bearings back. A few seconds later, Romero shot again for a single-leg takedown. He ate several immediate punches and ended up unconscious on the canvas at 0:47 of the very first round.

Very nicely done for Te Huna. Romero will undoubtedly be doing some soul-searching after this one.

For more UFC 135 results and instant analysis live from Denver click here. To check out MMAmania.com's LIVE UFC 135 results post, which includes up-to-the-minute, blow-by-blow coverage of EVERY fight click here.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.

Join MMAmania.com

You must be a member of MMAmania.com to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at MMAmania.com. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.