Miguel Torres is back in the UFC.
When news broke that Miguel Torres had been abruptly cut from the UFC following a tasteless rape joke he made on Twitter, it came as quite the surprise.
Just as surprising, though, was the even more abrupt and out-of-nowhere announcement that he was back with the promotion. UFC President Dana White explains his decision to let Torres back in:
"He walked in here today and impressed me. He handled his business like a man. He went to all the rape crisis centers and talked to them about what he did, he donated money to them all. He's been doing rape sensitivity conseling and a list of other things that he did and he wasn't told to do any of that. He wasn't told to do it, he owned up to this thing, he handled himself like a man and a professional, and I have nothing but respect for Miguel Torres and he's back. ... I respect him and he's back and I don't give a sh*t what anybody has to say about it or what they think."
Indeed, there's been some definite backlash to the move, but the response to Torres being rehired as remained overwhelmingly positive.
The popular former WEC bantamweight champion expressed remorse for his actions and did all the right things to make up for it. This being his first punished offense in regards to this situation, White felt it prudent to give him another chance to prove himself.
Anyone disagree with the decision and White's reasoning behind it?
Hear more from the big bossman in the full entry, including much more on the decision to bring back Torres and the the UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem fight card taking place this Fri., Dec. 30, 2011, in Las Vegas.