Kurt Pellegrino, a veteran of 12 UFC fights, called it quits for the second time in his career last night (November 26, 2011) after suffering a first round technical knockout loss to Patricky Freire. In front of his hometown New Jersey crowd, "Batman" took the mic and poured his heart out.
"I started my career in Atlantic City, I wanted to end it in Atlantic City, too. When [Bellator] told me [I would fight] Patricky, I was thrilled. I knew he was super tough and I would have to train hard for him. I really did train hard. I lost fair and square. This will be the last time you ever see me fight, again."
Pellegrino originally retired earlier in 2011, choosing not to renew his UFC contract so he could spend some extra time with his family. After just a few months of freedom, however, he decided that the life didn't suit him just yet and he signed with Bellator. In perhaps a sign of things to come, the New Jersey native again left the door open for a return at the post-fight press conference.
"This isn't the way I wanted it to end. You know, walking up the stairs I wanted to honestly tell you that you guys would never ever ever see me fight again unless you're watching old tapes. It's just getting a little hard. I missed my daughter's first words, which were ‘dad,' preparing for this fight. I don't know what I want to do, but as of right now I'm done. I think I'm done... I don't know what to do. I wanted to retire today."
Afterwards, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said that he would have a sit down dinner with Pellegrino and his family to attempt to convince him to come back once more.
We'll keep you Maniacs posted on all the latest details as they develop.