Robert Drysdale -- the 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) Open Weight tournament winner -- made his long-awaited professional mixed martial arts debut last night (July 17) at Armageddon Fighting Championships (AFC) 3, submitting Bastien Huveneers via submission (side choke) early in the first round.
Drysdale, who terrorized the international jiu-jitsu circuit for about a decade, winning medals and finishing some of the best in the business (see Garcia, Marcelo among others), served as an assistant coach for Frank Mir on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF).
He's among the most talented 205-pound grapplers in the sport. It'll be interesting to see how he evolves, as well as works his way up the circuit to take on stiffer competition in the near future.
The event, which took place at Bear Mountain Arena in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, also featured a middleweight title fight between the infamous Kalib Starnes and Nick Hinchliffe, Starnes, too, won early with a submission (armbar) midway through round one.
Check out complete AFC 3 results (via TopMMANews.com) after the jump:
- Kalib Starnes defeats Nick Hinchliffe by submission (Armbar) at 3:49 of Round 1
- Robert Drysdale defeated Bastien Huveneers by Submission (Side Choke) at 1:12 of Round 1
- Nick Driedger defeated Baz Cunningham by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:18 of Round 1
- Mike Hackert defeated Dan MacIver by Unanimous Decision
- Diego Wilson defeated Dan Lin by Technical Submission (referee stoppage armbar) at 0:46 of Round 1
- Justin Shaw defeated Rob McCormack by TKO (Strikes) at 0:19 of Round 1
- Misha Cirkunov defeated Shawn Pauliuk by TKO (Strikes) at 0:57 of Round 1
- Derek Medler defeated Myles Dearden by TKO (Strikes) at 2:56 of Round 1
- Darcy James defeated Conner Wood by KO at 1:36 of Round 1
- Dajan Kajic defeated Adam Gabel by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:37 of Round 1
- Keri Scarr defeated Sarah McLeod by TKO (Referee Stoppage) after Round 1
- *Conner Riddell vs Dan Ring ended in a DRAW
- *Theo Brisley defeated Iury Aquiano by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:14 of Round 2