A sold out crowd of 5,000 MMA fans in Lubbock, Texas was treated with an exciting night of action courtesy of Shark Fights 8. Seven of the card's eight bouts ended via submission, KO, or TKO in the first round. The night's main event featured former UFC fighter Josh Neer (27-9-1) battling Anselmo Martinez (7-2) for the promotion's interim welterweight title.
Following his release from the UFC after suffering a unanimous decision loss to Gleison Tibau at UFC 104, "The Dentist" took his game to Max Fights IV back in his hometown of Des Moines, Iowa, where he defeated Matt Delanoit via technical knockout in round one on January 8.
Less than a month later, Neer was back in the cage, fighting for yet another promotion, though yielding a very familiar result. Neer quickly ended the fight in round one, submitting Martinez with a rear naked choke.
Since moving to 170, where he is clearly more explosive than he was at lightweight, Josh has gone 2-0. And with this impressive finish, Neer shouldn't have to look far for his next fight. He is likely to compete for Shark Fights later this year in a welterweight title unification bout against current title holder Anthony Waldburger (12-5).
Check out the full list of results from Shark Fights 8 after the jump.
Shark Fights 8 results:
- Josh Neer defeats Anselmo Martinez via submission in round one
- Kyle Bracey defeats Eric Davila via submission in round one
- Luis Luna defeats Clayton Hantz via submission in round one
- Jessica Miramontes defeats Yadira Anzaldua via technical knockout in round one
- John King def. Skylar Duncan via technical knockout in round one
- Doug Frey def. Jared Lopez via submission in round one
- Cody Pfister def. Jerry Hinojosa via knockout in round one
- Mitchell Hale def. Devin Nichols via unanimous decision