Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veterans Houston Alexander and former heavyweight champion, Tim Sylvia, were both in action last night (Sept. 18) at Adrenaline MMA IV at the Mid-America Center, Council Bluffs, Iowa, trying to turn out of three-fight losing skids.
Alexander got the first chance in the co main event against Sherman Pendergarst.
He opened the light heavyweight contest with devastating leg kicks. Pendergarst saw an opportunity for a shot and attempted a double leg takedown; however, Alexander sprawled and unleashed several more leg kicks.
The damage done by the leg kicks, as well as subsequent knees from within the clinch, sent Pendergarst crashing to the canvas. Alexander then cleaned up the mess he created with vicious ground and pound that led to a first round technical knockout stoppage.
Sylvia was up next against Jason Riley -- a very bright prospect who was out to make a name for himself off "The Maine-iac".
It didn't happen.
The first minute of the fight was essentially a "feeling out" phase with a punch or two followed by clinching with a few knees. When the two separated, Riley uncorked several nice punches that found their marks. Sylvia responded with an uppercut, followed by a hook, which connected to put Riley on the ground.
That was all it took.
First round technical knockout for Mr. Sylvia. But don’t expect to see him back in action anytime soon -- on the way out out of the cage he was overheard saying he broke his hand in the fight.
The show also featured an undercard of amateur fighters from the Midwest who were eager to make statements and get to the next level. Todd Meneely -- who may have turned in the most dominant performance of the night -- is certainly an up-and-comer to keep an eye on.
Here are the complete Adrenaline MMA 4 results:
- Danny Black defeats Matt Bentley via submission (triangle)
- John Hansen defeats Dean Bradley technical knockout in round two
- Todd Meneely defeats Corey McDonald via submission (kimura) in round two
- Dakota Cochrane defeats Bell Holcombe via technical knockout in round one
- Jordan Johnson defeats Ryan Shell via unanimous decision
- Jimmy Seipel defeats Bob Tuttle via submission (rear naked choke ) in round one
- Forrest Petz defeats Chad Reiner via technical knockout in round one
- Joe Vedepo defeats Webster Farris via knockout in round one
- Alonzo Martinez defeats Ryan Williams via unanimous decision
- Houston Alexander defeats Sherman Pendergarst via technical knockout in round one
- Tim Sylvia defeats Jason Riley via technical knockout in round one